The Human Rights Master Program Database provides a searchable database of almost 100 Human Rights Master Programs worldwide. Parametres to use while browsing for a specific human rights master program include Name, Duration, Costs, academic degree obtained, country with the longest presence and the university or institution, which offers the master program. By clicking on URL you will be directed to the main page of the mentioned institution or university.
Where to study human rights? (Checklist)
- Can I afford the master program? Are scholarships available for the master program?
- Does the human rights master program put emphasis on a specific region? There are human rights master programs which focus strongly on regional systems in Europe, South-East-Asia or the Americas. Make sure you choose a Human Rights Program, which suits your interests. Some Human Rights Master Programs dedicate only one day to systems in Africa others are focusing on African Human Rights mechanisms. Have a look at the curriculum, the amount of lectures dedicated to a specific topic/issue and decide if that suits your interests.
- Who are the lecturers? The expertise, background and personality of the lecturers determines the quality of your overall experience with a specific master program to a large extend. There are lecturers who are very inspiring and they will be capable of multiplying your interest in a specific topic. Get in touch with the students and ask them what is on your mind.
- To what extend is the human rights master program featuring a solely legal or multi-disciplinary approach? (LL.M. programs are law-focused while programs that earn you a Master of Arts degree are more often multidisciplinary. Choosing a LLM program means that you will go in depth in terms of legal research and legal expertise and also your fellow students will have a legal background. If you choose a more multidisciplinary program your colleagues will come from various different backgrounds.
- How qualitative are publications of this human rights master program? If you have access to publications of a specific master program, that can be a good indicator of the overall quality of a master program.
- Some Human Rights Master Programs offer field trips to post conflict areas. These experiences will give you insights into a specific region. Familiarize with the issues before you choose the master program.
- Does the master include a human rights internship? In some Master Programs you will have a lot of support by the administration in finding an internship during or after your human rights master.